Tuesday 16 August 2011

Whole-wheat Eggless Brownies

 I did not really know how exactly a brownie is different from say a quickbread, a shortbread cookie or a muffin, until I started baking. I used to see recipes for delicious chocolate brownies in the blog-sphere but I put off baking this brownie until I had ventured other known territories first. 
The only "Brownie" I was familiar with, was the lovely dark brown furry stray in the neighbourhood, who was taken away by the corporation one fine day following complaints :(. Anyways, that is another story.
Last month, I looked up recipes for brownies, since folks at home were too bored of cupcakes, vanilla and chocolate cakes and cookies. I came across the recipe for Eggless brownies on Divya's blog
I wanted to try it for two reasons: a) Eggless recipe, folks at home were tired of my Eggy bakes ;) and b) it is a microwave recipe, I don't have to take my baking pans out :).
I try to bake with whole wheat flour, as much as possible these days. So I substituted all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. Here are the modification I made to the recipe from Divya's blog.

Ingredients

Maida - 1 cup
(I used whole wheat flour)
Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
Milkmaid- 200 gms (Half tin)
Butter - 1/2 cup
Baking powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt a pinchSugar - 2 tsp
Ripe Banana - 1 small one
Crushed Walnuts,Cashewnuts - about 2 tbsp (I omitted it)
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 + 1 tsp for dusting (The original recipe does not call for this, I added this)
Method

Melt the butter in Microwavefor 1 minute. Mix in the milkmaid, blend it to a smooth paste using a blender.

Mash the banana well and mix to the above butter & milkmaid mix.Add sugar and blend again to get a smooth paste.
In another bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Then add to the butter mix and blend well.
Transfer the mix to a greased microwave safe dish.
Microwave this mix for 4 minutes. Let it rest in the microwave for a minute, then remove    to the wire rack for another 2 minutes. Dust with cinnamon powder. Wait for the brownie   to cool down completely before cutting. Warm the brownies in the microwave before          serving.
Verdict: The brownies were a hit! The cinnamony, eggless wheaty moist brownies just won over everyone :)
priya's signature image at photobucket

No comments: