Sunday 14 August 2011

Chocolate Cookies

I can never seem to have enough chocolate or cocoa powder to bake with. When I do procure the ingredients, I am again left with an empty pantry in a jiffy. Sometimes I have to scrape off cocoa powder from the tin to make up enough for a couple of tablespoons for some recipes and sometimes I end up using chocolate syrup when I run out. That said, this eggless chocolate cookie recipe  was on my to-bake list for long. I finally made it sometime back.

Here is the adapted recipe:
Ingredients (makes 24 cookies)

Maida/flour – ¾ cup
Cocoa powder – ¼ cup
Cornflour – ½ cup
Icing sugar Or Powdered sugar – 1 cup
Dessicated coconut(optional) – 1 tbsp (I omitted this)
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Butter(in room temperature) – ½ cup
Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
Dry fruits – ½ cup(I used crushed walnuts and almonds)
Milk – a tbsp or two,if required
Method

Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy(if using a hand mixer,mix on low speed for about 30 secs).
Sift together maida,cocoa powder,cornflour,dessicated coconut(if using) and baking powder.
Mix to the butter mix adding a spoon at a time.
After all the flour mix has been added,you can also hand mix the dough for better texture.
Add a tbsp milk if the dough is too dry.
Make small balls of the dough and flatten it a bit.

Pre-heat the oven on 150C.
Grease/line a baking tray and place the cookies 1” apart,to leave enough space for the cookies to spread.
Bake for 15-18 minutes. I baked for 15 minutes. Cool the cookies in the sheet for 5 mins and transfer to wire-rack. You can even serve them slightly warm with a cup of hot beverage. They are divine.
 Verdict: Awesome chewy and chocolaty cookies. But I just got the feeling of some raw taste flour and cocoa, I need to bake these again to see if it had to do with the ingredients or that is how it is.
priya's signature image at photobucket

No comments: