Monday 22 August 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ever since I came across this recipe for chocolate-chip cookies, I wanted to bake these. I finally managed to bake these cookies when I got my pack of choco-chips from IBCA-blr. I followed the recipe from joyofbaking.com pretty much with ingredients and mixing part; but I scaled down the recipe by half and reduced the baking time significantly. Here is what I did:

Ingredients: 

 For 30 2-2.5" round cookies:

1/2 cup (1 sticks) (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

3/8 cup = 6tbsp (75 grams) granulated white sugar

3/8 cup = 6tbsp (80 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar (I used demerera sugar)

1 large egg

3/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 cup + 2tbsp (148 grams) all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cups (135 grams) semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup (50 grams) walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped (optional) (I did not add this)

Chocolate Chip Cookies: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) . I set it at 180 degrees C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the
butter until smooth and creamy. Add the white and brown sugars and beat
until fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in eggs, one at a time, making sure
to beat well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until
incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry
ingredients to the egg mixture and beat until incorporated, adding the
chocolate chips and nuts (if using) about half way through mixing. If
you find the dough very soft, cover and refrigerate until firm (from 30
minutes to two hours). 

For large cookies, use about a 2 tablespoon ice cream scoop or with two
spoons, drop about 2 tablespoons of dough (35 grams) onto the prepared
baking sheets. Bake about 10 - 14 minutes, or until golden brown
around the edges. I baked for about 8-9 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.

Makes about 30 - 2-2.5 inch round cookies.

Note: You can freeze this dough. Form the dough into balls and place on
a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze and then place the balls of
dough in a plastic bag, seal, and freeze. When baking, simply place the
frozen balls of dough on a baking sheet and bake as directed - may have
to increase baking time a few minutes.

Verdict: The cookies were crisp on the outside and crumbly. These keep well for more than a week if stored in an airtight container. This was a hit and I see myself baking these quite often.

priya's signature image at photobucket

No comments: