Monday 15 August 2011

Buttermilk pancakes

I came across this delicious recipe for pancakes. I have been waiting to make pancakes for quite sometime now and I definitely wanted to try this one!
I am sure you moms out there understand what it is to get the child ready for school. To get her to eat and bathe and dress up, pack up her stuff and finally take her to school, your adrenalin is at its highest. But the little one has no sense of hurry at all and she runs around as if it is playtime, when you try to put on her clothes or feed her breakfast! Oh Yes, I am sure you get the picture :).

One evening I found that there were very few choices for breakfast the next day, for my little one. I had run out of Dosa/Idli batter. There was no bread at home and in the morning rush, it is impossible to feed her porridge. So I decided to make these pancakes, and I knew it will be challenging to mix the batter in the morning, however trivial the task might seem ;). So I made the batter the night before. Check this out for the procedure.
I made some modifications to the recipe. I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.

Here is the recipe adapted from  southernfood.about.com. I scaled the recipe down to 1/2
Ingredients:
1 cups all-purpose flour  (I used whole wheat flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons sugar
1 large eggs
1 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
Preparation:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar.
Whisk eggs, buttermilk, and butter together in a small bowl. Combine the mixtures and stir until smooth, but don't overbeat. 
Heat a griddle over medium-low heat. Using a 1/4 cup measure, cook until you see bubbles over the top and the edges are somewhat dry looking. Flip over and brown the other side. Keep warm in a 175° oven if you are serving all at once. Serve with butter and syrup.
Makes about 10 4-inch buttermilk pancakes.
Re-heat for 10-20 seconds in the microwave before serving.

Verdict: My little girl ate to her fill before she left and had one pancake at school too. I had packed one in her snack box. She had one more in the evening. I loved the pancakes myself... It was extremely light and fluffy and was delicious with syrup :)
priya's signature image at photobucket

No comments: