Sunday 10 July 2011

Whole Wheat Indian Biscuit



As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I started baking cookies and cakes mainly for my daughter. I found these Nankhatais or Indian Biscuits quite rich for a quick snack for children. I had often baked the Maida version of these biscuits. I came across this post for Atta Nankhatais on Divya's blog and I decided to try out the healthier version :).


Atta Nankhatai (Recipe adapted from Divya's Blog)

Ingredients

Whole wheat flour/Atta – 1 ¼ cup
Rava/Semolina – ½ cup (I used the Chirotti Rava)
Ghee – ½ cup
Powdered sugar – ½ cup (I used granulated sugar)
Crushed cardamom seeds – of 2 cardamom
Baking soda – a pinch

Method
Preheat oven to 150*C.
Sift together atta,rava,cardamom seeds and baking soda.
Cream ghee and powdered sugar with a spoon.
Add the sifted ingredients little by little to make a dough.
Make small balls of the dough and flatten a little.

 







Arrange on a greased baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or till the nankhatai turns golden in colour. I prepared two baking sheets and set the time to 30 minutes. The first batch was done in just 15 minutes and the second sheet was ready to go into the oven without any need to preheat. 
 










Verdict: These biscuits are so wonderfully rich and have a great melt-in-the-mouth texture. I used granulated sugar as my daughter was asleep and I did not want to wake her up by turning on the blender to powder sugar. But nevertheless the biscuits turned out great :). They were cooling down when she got up and she immediately stuffed herself with two biscuits!



priya's signature image at photobucket

1 comment:

Vidhya said...

These cookies look like melt in the mouth type.Awesome.